Thursday 5 February 2015

Being an Agent of Change

I love the phrase ‘Agent of Change’. I can’t decide if it is because of the James Bond images it conjures up or because it’s something I actually give a shit about. Probably both. Change is, as we are all told, inevitable and I think a very positive thing. Like all things worth having it is not easily realised and frequently resisted.

Change requires Radicals (with a capital R) - people who are not afraid to rock the boat but possess the wherewithal to not fall out of it. These people are ardent, confident and forthright. They are leaders in the truest sense.

Alternatively, they are seen as ‘pushy’ or one of those ‘causes people’. We are quick to judge them and undermine the good they are trying to do. Their efforts are met with eye rolls and oh-here-she-goes-again smirks and that is a crying shame.

 They, of course, couldn't care less. They’re not doing it for the approval or the status, they just care enough to do something.

 I want to be one of those people. I am trying to be one of those people. I give a shit.

I've decided that complaining is no longer an option. No more: ‘Oh isn't it terrible that I can’t get married? Oh poor me.’ In it’s stead: WHAT AM I GOING TO DO ABOUT THAT? Less complaining, more action. And these actions do not need to be grand UN speeches a la Emma Watson, they just need to be something, anything at all that can further the cause of the things I care about.

So, in the coming months I'm going to try write some stuff about various things I care about. Some of it will be serious, some light hearted, marriage equality will most probably feature heavily.

So give up your eye-rolls for Lent and leave your oh-here-he-goes-again smirks at home and join me in The Land of Giving a Shit About Things. Population: YOU.

05.02.2015

No comments:

Post a Comment